Monday 9 December 2013

An ode to gender mavericks

I tip my decidedly lesbian looking hat to all of you crazy brave bastards out there that are actively, visibly, and very much loudly different. I love it. Because the times that I have been physically threatened because a potential partner at a bar are few and far between. People cannot tell if I'm a boy are a girl, and this scares them, but it must occur a lot more to you. I pass as "either or" for the most part, and for that I am gratefully left alone a lot more than you must be. I am generally safe, and lucky that the way that I dress comfortably renders me that way.    


The genderfuck dress code on the other hand is startling, as well as beautiful, but unfortunately beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so I am very much in awe of all of you boys that wear heels and blazers, and all of you girls that wear bodices and work boots. That is dangerous though. Being your particular self seems to be a lot braver than me being myself, and I say that, not to diminish anyone else's struggles or to marginalize another's experiences. All I am saying is congratulations on being here, queer, and demanding with your very existence that people get used to it. Being yourself, with painted nails and goatee, is perfect but also terribly daring. You are a beautiful and brave gender maverick. Stay strong, and stay inspiring. 

No comments:

Post a Comment