Monday 9 December 2013

Dont try to be gay

I saw a documentary online once. Well, I say ‘a’ documentary, when that is all that I do when i'm feeling low, from trans on tumblr to lesbian blogs and everything, anything inbetween. Anyway, a quote really resonated with me. its just something that ive learned through much trial and further error.


Don't try to be gay. Just be gay.” 

It is a very good point. The more natural, the more I explore and do and act exactly how I want to without the constraints of butch, femme, male, female, gay, straight...the happier I become. The same I found true after reading My gender workbook by Kate Bornstein. It was somewhat comforting,  as it felt like I had very similar views to Kate, to see my ideals mimicked back to me a little. As a general rule of thumb the book is more novelty than soul searching, but the questions still made me curious and I was eager to see what I was like after adding up my points. I got exactly 80, and I was dubbed a ‘gender outlaw’. It read that, 

"You’ve been working not only on your own gender,but the subject of gender itself for quite some time, huh? I’m willing to bet things are still a bit scary and a bit serious for you in your life. If I were you, I’d read this book with the intent to get the most fun out of it. Have a ball!”

 She has a point too. Maybe I take everything far too seriously. Either way, the quote within the book which says ,“You need to learn to treat yourself like you would treat an honored guest in your house” is very much my new motto for life. If I treated myself the way that I treat others then I feel I would be pampered and my every need would be catered for. Mainly though, the book had the excellent point that I am probably in need of a hobby which isn’t centered around gender. I hear that a lot form people on forums and the such. Gender non conforming people can grow obsessed with it, and this in some way is why I started writing everything down; it frees my mind to think of other, much more normal things. that is why I am in love with my diary, and it is the best thing I think i've done with my life is record it so far, because it is far too weird and wonderful to stay just in my head; how selfish that would be of me! Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment