Monday 9 December 2013

Home Alone

I walked back from my friends place alone, it was gone ten, but I assured him I would be absolutely fine. I didn’t think I wouldn’t be, it was unusually humid outside and I love taking long walks alone, but he ran down the road to meet me at the nearest traffic lights. I honestly couldn’t fathom why; I was genuinely confused. It was late, I was tired, hungry and hot, and so I hadn’t really thought about my gender presentation too much. I felt entirely neutral, and so I should. I was simply myself, and so I should be.

It had however dawned on him that I was female and walking back alone from an estate in the dark. This hadn’t actually occurred to me at all, and I didn’t think that this would be an issue. I wasn’t sure if I should feel emasculated or flattered that he was walking me half way home, but I figured that, taken aback as I was, this was a very good thing and I was glad for it. I was not at all flattered in the feminine sense, but when I thought about it not even a boyfriend had offered to walk me home in the dark. What a nice guy.

More to the point though, I was very much shaken to believe that I am somewhat rape-able. I was glad that someone who had no desire to fuck me cared if someone else forcibly would. It is not often that people care if I live or die, and I thought that was exceedingly good of him. I take it as fact, sadly so, that women cannot walk alone after dark for fear of rape. My only concern is my genuine mistake of believing that such things would not apply to me. 

But regardless of whats wrong and whats right, in my head alone I also found it pretty funny that he was walking me back only halfway, seeing as I am only half a girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment